If you are in the market for a non-destructive and convenient health and fitness tracker, the Oura ring is one of the best options out there. It is the third generation of the Oura ring series, released in November this year. In this article, I will share everything you need to know about this ring and why it can potentially be a smartwatch replacement.
The Oura Ring has a couple of improvements that make it a more advanced device than the first two generations. Below are some of the major features;
- Excellent battery life: It has a week-long battery life, making it possible to use the device for several days without charging it. When the battery drains, you can get it to full capacity within 80 minutes.
- It is made of Titanium with PVD coating.
- It is 4 to 6g heavy depending on the size you choose
- It has up to 100m water resistance, so you can have it on while swimming
- The sensors housed in this ring include; 3-axis accelerometer, optical heart rate monitor, vibration motor, relative SpO2 sensor, ECG sensor, and the EDA (electrodermal activity) sensor.
- It comes in three colors, including; Silver, gold, black, and stealth
- It costs $299 with a subscription fee of $6 per month after using the ring for six months
What makes this ring the ideal health and fitness tracking devices
- It is less destructing
Unlike smart watches that have lots of other features, the Oura ring focuses on only health data. The fact that it has no display makes it less destructing. So, you can have it on for the whole day and later check the data in the evening using its app that is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- It is very light
If you are not the kind of person that loves putting on heavy accessories on your arms and fingers, this kind of ring is what you need. The Oura Ring 3 is just 4 to 6g, making it possible to wear it for a couple of days without feeling any kind of discomfort.
- It has most of the fundamental sensors
Cramming all the major sensors in such a tiny device is a very complex task that we have to applaud Oura for doing very well. These sensors make it possible to monitor your heart rate, quality of sleep, body and ambient temperatures, stress levels, and many more parameters. The ring will also be able to monitor blood oxygen levels in early 2022 when Oura makes a software update. Data for all these parameters can be accessed through their mobile app.
- Accurate tracking
The ring rests well on your finger, making it possible for its sensors to extra accurate health, sleep, and fitness data from the finger.
If you are in the market for a less destructive device to track your sleep, health, and fitness levels, this ring is one of the best options out there. It may not be of great importance for someone who already owns a smartwatch. However, it is an excellent option for people who only want to track their sleep, health, and fitness without being destructed by other functionalities that smartwatches come with.