Google Nest Mini is a smart speaker with an integrated Google Assistant, controlled with your voice. Just proceed with a voice command to receive a response from the speaker.
You can ask to set timers, alarms, ask questions about saved reminders and on any topic, such as the weather forecast. It will be enough to say Hey Google followed by the question in question.
You can connect the speaker to a large number of devices: not only lights and thermostats but also TVs with Chromecast. This guide will show you how to connect the Google Nest Mini to TV.
Google Nest Mini setup
Before moving on to the procedure with which you can connect Google Nest Mini to TV, let’s see the steps that allow you to configure the speaker or display of the device.
To do this, you will need to have:
- a speaker or display;
- the latest version of the Google Home app;
- the latest version of the Google app;
- a Google account;
- a smartphone or tablet with an Android 6.0 operating system (or a later version), with Bluetooth, enabled and a Wi-Fi network ranging from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz;
- A Wi-Fi connection.
The configuration steps
The first step of the setup is to connect the speaker or display. You will then have to connect the device you want to use to manage the speaker or display to the Wi-Fi network. At this point, you will have to open the Google Home app on your Android smartphone or tablet.
Within the app, you will have to click on Configure devices: if this button is not available, you will have to go to Start and then on Configure new devices> Create another home> Next > enter a nickname and a home address. While the insertion of the name is mandatory, that of the home address is optional.
All other devices can be configured by clicking on Add at the top left and then Configure device> Configure new devices in your home.
Connect the TV to Google Nest Mini
If you connect the Google Nest Mini to your TV,you will be able to turn your TV on and off using the voice commands of the Google Nest speaker (or display). You can also use the voice assistant to control music and videos.
The multimedia contents can be played on the TV using the Google speaker through transmission devices such as:
- Chromecast Ultra;
- TV with integrated Chromecast.
To connect a TV or Chromecast device to the Google Nest Mini, you will need to:
- first of all, make sure that the tablet or smartphone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the Chromecast device and the Google Nest Mini;
- open the Google Home application;
- Scroll to Local devices, and then click Add to a room> Choose your room> Next.
Always open the Google Home app; the Add item will be present at the top left. The steps to follow will be:
- Configure device;
- Configure new devices in your home;
- touch the house to which you want to add the device and then click Next;
- Choose the device you want to configure and then click Next.
At this point, you must check that the code that will appear on the TV screen is the same as the one on the mobile device.
How to continue
To complete the operation of connecting the TV to Google Nest Mini, you will have to:
- Click on Yes, I agree to send anonymous data that will be useful for improving the devices, or on No, thanks if you do not want to send the data;
- touch the room of the device you would like to configure and then click on Next;
- choose the Wi-Fi network to which you would like to connect the device and then click Next twice;
- Click on Register if you want to receive emails relating to the device, or click No, thanks;
- choose the video services you want to add and then click Next;
- Double click on Continue.
If you see the message Error connecting the device, you will have to reset the Chromecast device to the factory data.
How to turn the TV on and off with Google Nest Mini
Google Nest Mini can be used not only to select a movie to watch or TV shows with voice command but also to turn the TV on or off. You know all those times you can’t find the remote and don’t want to get out of bed? Problem solved.
To activate this feature, you will need:
- A Chromecast connected to Google Nest Mini;
- A TV compatible with HDMI-CEC technology and has the CEC function enabled.
Among the compatible TV models, there are for example:
How to manage the CEC function
Generally, the CEC function is deactivated by default. But can be activated via the settings of your television. Just contact the manufacturer from the TV, or search online, to find out:
- if your TV supports CEC technology;
- How to activate this function.
You will need to plug your Chromecast device into a power outlet or any power source so that it can stay on even when you turn off the TV. If you connect it to the USB port of the TV, the device will turn off when the TV is turned off and will not respond to voice commands.
If you decide to connect the Chromecast to a soundbar or AVR device, you will have to activate the CEC function on these devices.
Which voice commands to use
Once the steps illustrated in the previous paragraph have been carried out, it will be possible to turn the TV on and off using voice commands.
You can turn on the TV by saying Hey Google, followed by phrases such as Turn On Device, Turn On My Device + Device Name, Turn On TV, Turn On My TV.
Similarly, you can turn off the TV by saying HeyGoogle followed by the phrases Turn off the TV, Turn off my TV, Turn off the device, Turn off my device + name of the device.
In case there are multiple TVs connected to Google Nest Mini. You will have to specify the room location in which the TV you would like to turn on.